Fire Emblem: Sanctuary of Strategy

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. September 15, 2014, 04:51:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The Manual of FESS Prowess - This is mandatory reading for everyone!
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 12
  Print  
Author Topic: Hasha no Tsurugi manga translation  (Read 56131 times)
TheIntermission

Soul of a dead lazy general

Member #1675

View Profile WWW

« on: August 25, 2008, 06:08:45 AM »

THIS THREAD IS DEAD, GO HERE:
http://serenesforest.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=8572

TL;DR INTRO

Okay, here's the deal. I'm a random dude (not a group) coming out of NOWHERE (except I'm not) and announcing that I'm putting my basic (BETTER THAN NONE AMIRITE) Japanese skills into use and translating the Hasha no Tsurugi manga. The raws for volumes 1-9 (this series has 11) have been around for years (literally) and nobody had managed to get more than the two first chapters done.

For those who don't know, Hasha no Tsurugi ("Champion's Sword" - or, alternatively, "Sword of the Supreme Ruler" or "Conqueror's Sword" in good English) is a side-story/retelling of the events of FE6, which is why I'm posting it in this Fuuin no Tsurugi board. The main character is Al (or Alle, as of the official Japanese canon... but whatever), a 15-years old teenager who leaves his father in the mountains and sets off in a journey to find out what he wants to do, custom sword in hand. Along the way, he makes some friends, teams up with Roy and does stuff.

This is a serious manga (as in, not a parody). And yes, most FE6 canon characters appear in it. Also, a couple details about it:

1) The mamkute in Chapter 1 is probably a lv1 one, that's why he's killed off so easily.
2) This manga is pretty much a side-story until volume 4, and a retelling from then on. It also follows a different route from the game. And yes, even though the game has multiple routes and endings.
3) If you see "champion", think Hartmut. Maybe I should have used Supreme Ruler/King, but now is too late for changing that.
4) Flying dragons = wyverns, swordsmen = myrmidons, etc.

HOW DOES THIS WORK

1. I translate and edit. Anyone who wants to point out translation/English mistakes are welcome to do so.
2. To prevent abysmal mistakes popping up in front of everyone, I'll first post new chapters on my LJ (privately) and wait for people like Vincent and Hinata to proofread them.
3. If you want to redistribute this translation for some reason, go ahead. Just host it yourself. Unpleasant things may happen if you don't (namely, broken links and false files - it has happened before, don't try your luck).

DOWNLOADS (i.e., what really matters)

Full Volumes:

Act I: The Great Trip
Volume 1: Brave Youth [chapters 1-4 | 26MB | last updated: 09/04]
Volume 2: World's Finest Knight [chapters 5-8 | 16.9MB | last updated: 09/04]

Act II: The False League
Volume 3: For Lycia! [chapters 9-12 | 17.2MB | last updated: 09/12]
Volume 4: Cross the Sea [chapters 13-16 | 15.7MB | last updated: 09/26]

Act III: Emblem versus Divine Weapon
Volume 5: Dominion [chapters 17-20 | 18.7MB | last updated: 09/30]
Volume 6: Fire Emblem [chapters 21-24 | 18.9MB | last updated: 10/05]

Act IV: Retaking the Capital
Volume 7: Resurrection [chapters 25-28 | 17MB | last updated: 10/22]
Volume 8: Deathmatch in the Sky, Agony on the Ground [chapters 29-32 | 17.5MB | last updated: 10/31]

Latest Chapters:

Act IV: Retaking the Capital

Volume 8: Deathmatch in the Sky, Agony on the Ground [chapters 29-32]
- Chapter 29: Battle in the Holy Royal Castle (5MB)
- Chapter 30: Deathmatch in the Sky, Agony on the Ground (3.9MB)
- Chapter 31: The Last Lie (3.5MB)
- Chapter 32: Inviting Nightmare (5.1MB)

Volume 9: Eternal Siblings [chapters 33-36]
- Chapter 33: Father and Mother (4.5MB)
- Chapter 34: Spear of Vengeance - status: to be revised
- Chapter 35: Eternal Siblings - status: raw
- Chapter 36: Rapier - status: raw

Notes:
1. I won't translate omakes or "story so far"s.
2. I don't rename files when I make new versions. So, if a download is corrupted, consider the possibility that I'm uploading a new version and wait some time (from five minutes to one hour - I know, my upload speed sucks) before trying again.

Hopefully somebody will find this useful. Although one could question the very usefulness of a manga, so well.

Thanks to Vincent for raws and proofreading, to Hinata for additional regular proofreading, and to Minaya for those delicious volume 10 scans.

LATEST EDIT (November 4th): Chapter 33 added.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2008, 03:50:42 AM by TheEnd » Logged

SlippyToasterTrooper_UK

I'ts Mother 3 time!

Member #8

View Profile

« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2008, 09:11:07 AM »

Finally, someone has gotten past chapter 2 a group called Dicey Scans got that far.

Fake Konata Izumi is gone...for now?

Something isn't right here...hmm (explaination)
Raisin Bagel

Time Diver

Member #578

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2008, 01:31:42 PM »

Hmmmm....

It might be more advisable to host the chapters somewhere so we don't have to download them. Just an idea.

Anyway, sounds like a cool idea. I'll look forward to seeing more.

Used to be Peppy Hare
TheIntermission

Member #1675

View Profile WWW

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2008, 02:08:39 PM »

Thing is, I don't readily know a practical way of doing it (i.e., setting up an online viewer), and would rather spend time translating than learning it.

Also, Superbusnet doesn't have bandwidth issues, and I'm going for a "do for others what you'd like them to do for yourself" approach: since my connection isn't lightspeed and stuff, it's easier/more practical for me to download chapters than to read them online. Also, Windows XP's image viewer is great for manga reading, anyway.

If anyone feels like making an online viewer of it somehow, though, go ahead; you don't need to ask for my permission or even credit me if you don't feel like it.

Current progress: chapter 6, page 21 of 47

TheIntermission

Member #1675

View Profile WWW

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2008, 11:18:52 AM »

Chapter 6 posted.

EDIT: I hope this doublepost isn't illegal. If it is, I'll refrain from doing that in the future.

VincentASM is too important to have a messed up name

Member #100

View Profile WWW

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2008, 12:28:11 PM »

Whew, I can barely keep up.

Anyway, I'm sure there's plenty of people interested in this manga. You just need to get it (the scanlation) known.

Hmm, maybe I could do something on my site...

As usual, avatar and signature image by NTG : o
FE3 translation patch | Serenes Forest (Fire Emblem info here~)
TheIntermission

Member #1675

View Profile WWW

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2008, 04:23:48 AM »

Your call. 0:

Chapter 7 added.

Popo

Member #13

View Profile WWW

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2008, 06:37:52 AM »

I've been looking for a way to phrase this eloquently, but I can't think of anything, so I'll just go for it: THANK YOU!

I'm so happy to finally see this manga get a proper English translation. You're doing a wonderful job! Let me know if you ever need an extra hand with the editing or proofreading.
VincentASM is too important to have a messed up name

Member #100

View Profile WWW

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2008, 07:03:56 AM »

Damn, you just made me download Chapter 6 again. Fix the Chapter 7 link >:o

Anyway, I'll take a look if there's any mistakes that you missed in 7. That and read it.

As usual, avatar and signature image by NTG : o
FE3 translation patch | Serenes Forest (Fire Emblem info here~)
TheIntermission

Member #1675

View Profile WWW

« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2008, 07:16:48 AM »

I've been looking for a way to phrase this eloquently, but I can't think of anything, so I'll just go for it: THANK YOU!

I'm so happy to finally see this manga get a proper English translation. You're doing a wonderful job! Let me know if you ever need an extra hand with the editing or proofreading.
More proofreaders are always welcome. I post the chapters on my LJ account (lensterknight) as soon as I finish them, and then here once somebody points out Obligatory Stupid Mistakes (like untranslated pages - happened thrice already ).

I do the editing myself because huh, I have WAY too much free time on my hands so it's faster that way.

Also, fixed the link. 0: AT LEAST THEY FOLLOW A PATTERN, ISN'T THAT NICE

TheIntermission

Member #1675

View Profile WWW

« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2008, 03:40:00 PM »

Chapter 8 is out, volume 2 is finished.

Fëanen

Living anachronism

Member #26

View Profile

« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2008, 05:50:19 PM »

I have to say, not only is the manga quite enjoyable (I've been waiting for this for YEARS), but the rate you're going at is very much amazing. Thank you very much.

Fëanen - pronounced Feh-ah-nen. Sindarin for "spirit of water".

Just to stop the questions before they start.
FireLizard

Member #145

View Profile

« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2008, 09:26:45 AM »

Tania: "I've lost Gant's love... "

Ahem, sorry, while I did kind of crack up there (that's definitely not what she meant), all in all I think it's going in a good direction.  Just polish the edges a little so it sounds more like you're translating the nuances instead of just the words.
TheIntermission

Member #1675

View Profile WWW

« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2008, 10:36:26 AM »

Tania: "I've lost Gant's love... "

Ahem, sorry, while I did kind of crack up there (that's definitely not what she meant), all in all I think it's going in a good direction.  Just polish the edges a little so it sounds more like you're translating the nuances instead of just the words.
Maybe I should have listened to common sense and put "friendship" instead of love right there. Or maybe I just failed. But EITHER WAY.

Any tip you could spare in order to prevent me from violating your mother tongue would be greatly welcome. I know it's probably a chore for you to read such third-rate translation, but... well. I'm still studying and have a long way ahead, etc.

AceNoctali

Member #85

View Profile WWW

« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2008, 02:06:14 AM »

Awesome work out there, TheEnd. Thanks a lot for those translations !^_^

I'm so jealous of you, being able to complete scanlations at such a fast pace... If only I could go that fast and have enough time for my FE4 Fujimori Nuts' translation project.
By the way, I'm sorry, but I think I won't be able to help you for checking your trads. I'm busy as for now, and in two weeks I'm going to Japan, so...

About the manga itself, I'm happy to see the end of Volume 2. I couldn't find scans, even in RAW format, after Chapter 06, so I was stuck on the cliffhanger of that chapter.

And, on a side note, Celdia is absolutely awesome. She's becoming my fave char so far in this manga next to Alle and Gant. And her determination to win Gant's love is, IMO, even more both adorable and hilarious when you think that...

(Be careful, spoiler tag contains spoilers for the manga's ending, proceed with caution)
« Last Edit: August 31, 2008, 02:10:24 AM by AceNoctali » Logged

"There may be rainy days, but there's always a blue sky in your heart." - Chako, Mujin Wakusei Survive

Sig : Back to my Saki sig (made by me), as a temp. I plan to make a brand new sig for this forum, but it will take some time before it'll be done...

Avatar : ... and back to my old Ashton avi as well. ^^' Avatar done by me.
TheIntermission

Member #1675

View Profile WWW

« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2008, 03:23:41 AM »

Awesome work out there, TheEnd. Thanks a lot for those translations !^_^

I'm so jealous of you, being able to complete scanlations at such a fast pace... If only I could go that fast and have enough time for my FE4 Fujimori Nuts' translation project.
By the way, I'm sorry, but I think I won't be able to help you for checking your trads. I'm busy as for now, and in two weeks I'm going to Japan, so...

About the manga itself, I'm happy to see the end of Volume 2. I couldn't find scans, even in RAW format, after Chapter 06, so I was stuck on the cliffhanger of that chapter.

And, on a side note, Celdia is absolutely awesome. She's becoming my fave char so far in this manga next to Alle and Gant. And her determination to win Gant's love is, IMO, even more both adorable and hilarious when you think that...

(Be careful, spoiler tag contains spoilers for the manga's ending, proceed with caution)

I've managed to get those because Vincent had found a batch download at ChinaFE back at FESS2 or something. Personally, I'd rather have worked on a FE4 manga (N> more Fujimore scanlations, you have time for one more chapter before going to moonland, DO EET), but well, that's what I had.

Don't be envious; I'm unemployed (NOT FUN). But either way, good luck on your trip to Japan.

On a relatively unrelated side note, I'll post chapter 9 once Vincent finishes proofreading it. It has nobles talking walls of text about stuff, so I had a hard time translating it and the result was engrishy.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2008, 04:18:13 AM by TheEnd » Logged

aquantis
Member #317

View Profile WWW

« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2008, 06:12:52 PM »

Cool, someone else who's interested in getting the FE manga translated (I'm working with someone on the Gekka Ginnu artbook manga for FE 4 and the TCG right now, so my hands are tided to help you with proof reading right now...). ^-^  I do have all the manga volumes, so I will extend my offer to you that I gave to Vincent.  If you need the last two volumes scanned in, let me know when and I'll see if I can find time to scan them for (besides my own little FE translation project, I'm a scanilator of two scannilation sites, so it may take a little bit of time).

Just let me know.
TheIntermission

Member #1675

View Profile WWW

« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2008, 02:09:12 AM »

Cool, someone else who's interested in getting the FE manga translated (I'm working with someone on the Gekka Ginnu artbook manga for FE 4 and the TCG right now, so my hands are tided to help you with proof reading right now...). ^-^  I do have all the manga volumes, so I will extend my offer to you that I gave to Vincent.  If you need the last two volumes scanned in, let me know when and I'll see if I can find time to scan them for (besides my own little FE translation project, I'm a scanilator of two scannilation sites, so it may take a little bit of time).

Just let me know.

YES PLEASE.

Thank you very much for the offer.

As for when... I was thinking of going nuts over how to get volumes 10/11 by the time I get to vol. 7 (although I wouldn't mind having it sooner). So, I'll start bugging you by then. 0:

Ice Dragon

Member #11

View Profile WWW

« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2008, 12:42:36 PM »

If anyone knows a way to scan a manga without utterly destroying its spine and binding, I'd be able to scan Vol. 10 and 11 for you, but...

Unless aquantis is going to do it...

Ah, Rose...

Sprite rip archive | Battle scene and Statsheet resources
Archive last update: Dorothy, completed, 31 March 2006.
Templates last update: FE8, 14 February 2006.
Suichimo

Member #564

View Profile WWW

« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2008, 02:18:32 PM »

See if they'll let you put this up over at mangashare.com and/or onemanga.com.  Both of them are huge manga communities with one being mainly download(MS) and the other being online viewing(OM).

I'll download these tomorrow when I have a faster connection and not eating up my whole 12 GB download limit.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 12
  Print  

Jump to: